to develop and document methodologies for building language resources for the so-called under-resourced languages (i.e. languages with limited language resources) as efficiently as possible, with focus on semi-automatic/machine assisted resource generation;
The META-NORD project aims to establish an open linguistic infrastructure in the Baltic and Nordic countries (Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, and Sweden). The focus of the project is to assemble, link across languages, and make widely available language resources of different types (the core set of META-NORD are treebanks, wordnets and multilingual terminologies) used by different categories of target user communities in academia and industry to specific products and applications. The main objectives of the META-NORD project as established under Objective 6.1 are:
- to provide a description of the national (resp. language community) landscape in terms of language use; language-savvy products and services, language technologies and resources; main actors (research, industry, government and society); public policies and programmes; prevailing standards and practices; current level of development, main drivers and roadblocks; and create this in a simple, clear, standardized format;
- to contribute to a pan-European digital resource exchange facility by identifying, collecting resources in the Baltic and Nordic countries and by documenting, processing, linking and upgrading them to agreed standards and guidelines;
- to collaborate with other partner projects, in particular concurrent 6.1 pilot projects and the META-NET network of excellence. Cooperation with other relevant multi-national forums or activities, e.g., FlaReNet, CLARIN, will ensure consistent approaches, practices and standards aimed at ensuring a wider accessibility of and easier access and reuse of quality language resources;
- to help build and operate broad, non-commercial, community-driven, inter-connected repositories, exchanges, and facilities that will be used by different categories of target user communities;
- to mobilize national and regional actors, public bodies and funding agencies by raising awareness, organizing meetings and other focused events.
Besides general objectives META-NORD has set several specific targets:
- to provide expertise to other 6.1 pilots in fields where META-NORD partners have outstanding expertise: treebanks/syntax databases, terminology resources, wordnets and finite-state techniques;
- to develop and document methodologies for building language resources for the so-called under-resourced languages (i.e. languages with limited language resources) as efficiently as possible, with focus on semi-automatic/machine assisted resource generation;
- to facilitate availability of BLARK resources for META-NORD languages (Danish, Estonian, Finnish, Icelandic, Latvian, Lithuanian, Norwegian, and Swedish);
- to facilitate knowledge transfer between CLARIN and META-NORD, especially on standards and intellectual property rights (IPR) issues.